Monday, February 7, 2011

Whats For Dinner?

Healthy? Hamburgers (AKA Half and Half hamburgers)

Okay my boys only ate the fries but hey what can you do?


I saw a recipe for meat free hamburgers and it made me think.... I like meat, why would you want to not have meat on your hamburger. But then I got to thinking so more. Why not mix the two recipes. If you are making burgers for a group and end up needing more patties than you had originally planned this is a great idea! Say you got out a pound of ground beef for hamburgers but then you figured that your going to need more, grab a can of garbanzo beans! Drain the beans really well. Send them through the food processor to get them chopped really fine. They look like little pellets until you stir it and the mixture becomes smooth. Add it to the bowl with the thawed meat, and a beaten egg or two and some bread crumbs. Then add whatever you want; onions, salt and pepper, or other seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, etc. Form into patties and cook through. I found that if you use too much beans to meat ratio then the hamburgers can become dry and fall apart so that is why you could use an extra egg or less beans. Throw on a whole wheat bun with lots (and I mean LOTS) of veggies. ( I like salsa, tomatoes, pickles, onions, green and red peppers on my burger) But here it is with ketchup and mustard. As a wedding present, Aaron and I got a little fryer and we LOVE it. We make home made french fries with it. And lets just say my secret recipe for fry sauce is AMAZING! Enjoy!

P.S. Adding beans to your diet adds great fiber which I think balances out those deep fried french fries. :P

No comments: