Sunday, July 25, 2010

Pickles

Recently picked, and scrubbed cucumbers from our garden. I'm usually not one to brag but I am a first time gardener. Those who know me, know I can't keep anything plant-like alive. So with a lot of help from Aaron and dreams of future canning I persist. Even through our 100 degree weather, our garden is flourishing. Our neighbors down the road have a massive, and I mean massive garden. They run the farmers market on Saturdays and order seeds by the bucket loads (so that gives you an idea). They don't have cucumbers, but I do. Mom and I planted our tomatoe plants the same day and I have tomatoes and she doens't. Wha ha ha ha! Ya, I'm pretty proud.
This is my first jar of cucumbers about to be pickles. The spices are in and about ready to pour in the brine. This first jar is an experiment because I have yet to find fresh dill any where. So I have some old, dried dill that I hope will not ruin my way awesome first batch.

This is a dumb picture. Aaron thinks its so funny how proud I am of my newly aquired, slightly green thumb so he took a picture of me and my A pickles. (A; meaning it sealed). I had just eaten an oreo cookie and he told me to smile big. I knew I had black in my teeth so this is how the picture turned out. Me all pretty from working all day.



3 comments:

Kadie Egbert said...

you are all cute! congrats sis

Us Egberts said...

Love it! cant wait to sample a pickle....I have enjoyed the peas from you garden....holy peas! You are awesome:)

-Rachel said...

Carly, You are ADORABLE! And you pickles look wonderful. I am impressed by your mad gardening and canning skills! I too love the oreo cookie proud pickle canner picture. Love You!