Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Finding the Roses that Grow Out of Chaos

I write this blog post for personal growth not for much (if any) entertainment for the reader. Adon is currently in the process of potty training. (And has been, according to journals and blogs, for the past year.) I was sitting in the boys' room reading to Collin when Adon came running out of the bath room after using the potty without his underpants on. I sent him back to retrieve them and to put them back on. He ran back into the bathroom and all of a sudden I heard a gushing of water and a three year old exclaim "Uh Oh" Some how he had plugged the toilet and it was now flooding the bathroom. I shooed the two "helpers" out of the bathroom and started throwing towels on the floor. Collin cried outside the door because he wanted to be in on the action (or just in arms length of me). I came out of the bathroom for more towels to find that Collin had expressed his disappointment of me abandoning his precious reading time by spilling laundry detergent on the floor. I put Collin on the time out stool in hopes that he would stay out of the way. I swept up the spilled laundry detergent and grabbed some newly dried towels from the dryer to finish cleaning up the flood. I started bringing out dripping towels to the washer when I realized that Adon had now dumped laundry detergent on the floor. I moved Collin from the time out stool to the bedroom and Adon onto the time out stool (Adon could open the door and come out of the bedroom where Collin still can't open doors) So, I had my two little helpers out of the way for a minute while I swept up the laundry detergent for the second time and got the towels into the washing machine. I cloroxed the floor and let the kids loose. So now here is where the growth comes in.

What good came out of this moment of disaster?

The list is as follows: Neither child dumped the entire contents of the laundry detergent so we still have some left. Neither child makes it a continuous habit to dump laundry detergent. I used the spilled laundry detergent to wash the towels. When the flooding happened I had a whole dryer full of clean towels how a few hours ago every towel in the house was in the washing machine all ready wet. I did not let my wrath flow onto my children for being children. My bathroom rugs can survive the gentle cycle of my washing machine so I don't have to hand wash them. My bathroom floor is the cleanest it has been in weeks. Even though I am still unsure what Adon put into the toilet to plug it up, I am glad that the toilet is not permanently plugged nor broken in any way. Adon did not use his discarded underpants to plug up the toilet. Thank goodness Super Grover is around to save the day. I'm sure there is more but right now I have another disaster to go clean up. Mommies work from son up 'till son down.

7 comments:

Marcy said...

Way to keep your cool :) You have a great attitude

Us Egberts said...

Im sure it wasn't funny but you make me smile....way to hang in there....tear...im still laughing...sorry...I loved they story=]

Us Egberts said...

I was hoping to scroll down and see pictures....some things are just best left for memory =]

Wilson Family said...

No time really for pictures when disaster hits. Some things are better left for memory and time makes them even funnier.

Kadie Egbert said...

i love you!

Kadie Egbert said...

love you!

-Rachel said...

Oh Carly, I've had days like these. A Pooh-plosion on one side of the bathroom door and a gushing head wound that needs stitches on the other... nice) You handled it marvelously. I'm impressed patience and humor work miracles don't they?