Monday, October 26, 2009

Dinner in a Pumpkin

Aaron requested dinner in a pumpkin this evening and since he rarely requests specifics on dinner I try to accomodate. Here is how you make it. Get a small to medium sized pumpkin. This is a little large but its what we had. Cut a lid and clean it out.
You don't need the seeds or the goop for the recipe so you can chuck them or toast the seeds wich are yummy too. I have a good recipe for those as well but will not include that in this post. Only upon request.

Brown 1 1/2-2 pounds of ground beef in a skillet and drain the fat. I only used 1 pound. Add a chopped onion and saute it until the onion becomes tender (or to your liking). Then add 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, 2 Table spoons brown sugar, 1 small can sliced mushrooms, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, and 1 can of water chestnuts drained. Warm it all up and simmer. You can add or subtract any part of the recipe to your liking (I do). I didn't put in the brown sugar, but I added a little garlic. (you know me) I didn't think it needed any added salt but maybe some pepper. You could also put in shredded carrots, cellery, or even diced spinach or brocoli to up the nutrients. You could also use sausage, which I think would be yummy. This serves six but you could always add more rice to make it serve more.



No comments: